Including a dog as a member of your family may be a big responsibility, but it is one that can build amazing bonds of love and trust. In addition to playing, exercising, and providing your pet with food, water and shelter, caring for his dental health is of major importance.
Periodontal disease is the most common health condition affecting adult dogs, but it is also completely avoidable. Gum disease in dogs can lead to recessed gums, bone loss, missing teeth, and chronic pain, which is certainly not what we want for our four-legged companions. In addition, it may cause them to be at higher risk for diabetes, and heart, kidney, or liver disease.
In order to help eliminate gum disease, simply keep your dog's teeth clean, because when the tooth surfaces are clean, the gums stay healthy. Consider these five easy steps to help keep your dog's teeth and gums in excellent health and keep bad breath away too.
- Brush Daily – Invest in a special toothbrush and paste designed for dogs. The head is properly angled and sized just for your pooch and typically has a longer handle to protect your hand. Since dogs can't spit out excess paste, never use human toothpaste, which is not safe for swallowing. Best of all, doggie toothpaste comes in great canine flavors they'll love.
- Visit the Vet – Once or twice a year it's important to take your dog for an oral health examination, and if necessary, a professional scaling can be performed to remove any accumulations.
- Supply the Right Dental Diet – The right dog food can provide the nutrients your dog needs to promote good oral hygiene. You can look for the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) seal right on the dog food label. Foods with this seal have been endorsed by the VOHC as good for your dog’s dental health.
- Furnish a Fun Toys - Toys can be made from a variety of materials including plastic, rubber, or nylon and come in many different shapes and sizes. Gnawing on one can naturally soothe teething pain for puppies and help keep teeth clean for dogs of all ages.
- Provide Natural Himalayan Yak Chews – Nature Gnaws Himalayan Yak Chews are made from a 100% all-natural mix of Yak Milk, Cow Milk and Lime Juice. They are Oven-Baked without added hormones, colors or chemicals and are naturally high in protein. Easily digestible, they serve as a healthy alternative to rawhide or manufactured chews. Due to their firm texture, they help improve your dog’s dental health by scouring away plaque and tartar, reducing unwanted buildup. While these treats help clean teeth and freshen breath, they also provide hours of entertainment and delight.
Practicing these quick and easy steps can save costly and perhaps painful vet visits in the future. Fortunately, dogs love to chew, so although chewing won't replace brushing, it can help a great deal.
For more information, please visit www.naturegnaws.com today.